About The Course:
An all-day (6 hrs) course for indoor and outdoor climbers looking to try the sport of ice climbing for the first time. You will learn specific ice climbing technique on routes of varying difficulty with the safety of a top-rope under the guidance from experienced and NF qualified ice climbing instructor Sturla Sandvei. You will be taught the basic fundamentals of technique, the use of ice climbing tools and ice protection.
For more experienced climbers there is also the opportunity to learn how to lead on ice.
The course will take place from 09:00 – 15:00 on Sunday.
Course is limited to 6 participants per day.
- Mountaineering boots or ski boots suitable for step-in or semi-auto crampons.
- Crampons ideally with vertical front points and suited to your boots.*
- Ice axes suited to waterfall ice climbing, e.g. not glacier axes.*
- Warm clothing suited to strenuous activity for a prolonged period outdoors.
- Numerous pairs of gloves. We recommend several thin pairs for climbing, plus a larger/ warm pair for belaying/ rests.
- Food and drink sufficient for a minimum of 6 hours outside.
*These items are available on loan from Vertical Playground. Unfortunately Boots are NOT available this year.
Terms & Conditions
The Oppdal Ice Climbing Festival is a non-profit social gathering arranged by local climbers, Oppdal Klatre og- Fjellsportklubb and with the help of volunteers from NTNUI Tindegruppa.
All ticket sales are considered final and tickets are non-refundable however, tickets are transferable. If you wish to transfer your festival ticket you are free to do so, just let us know so we can update our system with participants. The same applies to tickets for courses.
Ice climbing and winter mountaineering are dangerous activities that can cause serious injury or death. Throughout the festival you are ultimately responsible for your own behaviour regarding personal safety. All participants for this clinic must have either a NKF Brattkort or Ledkort. This is a free clinic, thus participants are responsible for their own safety and must ensure they have sufficient knowledge to secure themselves and others during the day.